Production & Operations
This position is open to local to local (permanent transfer)
Gerdau is the leading company in the production of long steel in the Americas and one of the major suppliers of specialty long steel in the world. With more than 45,000 employees, Gerdau has an installed capacity of more than 25 million metric tons of steel and it is the largest recycler in Latin America, and around the world, it transforms millions of metric tons of scrap into steel every year.
Gerdau Long Steel North America is a leader in mini-mill steel production and steel recycling in North America, with an annual manufacturing capacity of approximately 10 million metric tons of mill finished steel products. Through a vertically integrated network of mini-mills, scrap recycling facilities and downstream operations, the company serves customers throughout the U.S. and Canada, offering a diverse and balanced product mix of merchant steel, rebar, structural shapes, fabricated steel, flat rolled steel and wire rod.
Gerdau Special Steel North America is an engineered bar producer headquartered in Jackson, Michigan with world-class steel manufacturing mills in Jackson, Michigan, Monroe Michigan, and Fort Smith, Arkansas, and metal processing facilities in Huntington, Indiana, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, Lansing, Michigan, Canton, Ohio, and North Vernon, Indiana.
With engineered steel bar producing capabilities in North America, Europe, Brazil, and soon to be India, the Gerdau Special Steel group is the largest supplier of SBQ engineered steel bars to the global automotive and heavy truck industries.
This position will assist the site Improvement Facilitators, Routine Facilitators, department superintendents, and plant management in ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness within their area of responsibility. The major role of this job is to focus on Pass Design, Roll Design, Guide Design and interstand equipment design promoting continuous improvement and integration of improvement principles, technical and engineering principles, identifying best practices, consistent application of Continuous Improvement principles and act as a change agent to help achieve a higher level of results within the assigned location by utilizing and implementing improvement processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain goal and project data bases. Perform trend analysis on the performance data as well as identify commonalities within the data.
- Participate and contribute to the achievement of department goals including goal setting.
- Provide consulting services to the departments on improvement methodologies and tools. Revamp existing pass designs and associated new structures, systems, and equipment aiming process results improvement / business gains
- Facilitate training sessions for all employees on Pass Design Concepts utilizing improvement methodologies, tools, policies, practices, and processes.
- Develop and coach employees on capabilities and knowledge in the application of the Problem Solving methodology
- Collaborate with Routine Facilitators on subjects pertaining to the stability of the rolling process updating/creating improvement standards, CAPEX standards, audits, 5S initiatives, failure analysis, results management, QIS, FA, 6 Sigma, and other process improvement methodologies.
- Participates in the Product recipe creation/modification process.
- Identify and solve chronic/repetitive pass design related problems and failures as well as reduce process variation.
- Assist with the development of the Annual Action Plan, and the administration of established policies, practices, and procedures.
- Prepare and approve standards from CAPEX and improvement initiatives.
- Prticipate, implement and coordinate CAPEX projects, and Annual Action Plan Improvement Projects.
- Oversee, contribute to, and support daily improvement management activities, which include providing timely and accurate cost estimates on proposed improvement efforts.
- Provide support in implementation, maintenance, and follow up on the vertical and horizontal help chain.
- Assist with all safety activities.
Qualifications for Position:
Qualifications for this position recommends a two year college degree in Engineering or Material Science combined with 3 to 5 years experience in an industrial or manufacturing environment with exposure to standardization and production quality methods. Incumbent must have a working knowledge of steel manufacturing methods and techniques involving the use of heavy mill machinery and related equipment. Previous qualifying experience in casting, rolling, roll shop, finishing and supervisory/facilitation is required. Successful candidate will demonstrate a good knowledge of the business system and the use of complex technical and engineering processes. Requires the ability to train people and serve as a coach to employees. The incumbent should possess solid presentation abilities combined with good interpersonal and organizational skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Good proficiency and capability for further advancement in the main areas of technical knowledge:
- Strong Math Skills;
- Internediate Microsoft Excel
- Drawing/simulation software proficiency (CAD, Inventor,...);
- Good understanding of FEA analysis Tools (Forge);
- Good understanding of Mill designs (stands, shears, interestand equipment) and guiding (Limited to his/her mill.
Salary & Benefits:
- Medical and Prescription
- Health & Dependent Care (Flexible Spending Account)
- Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
- Health Advocate Services
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity related to all employees and applicants for employment. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected status. All external applicants must be legally eligible to immediately work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship
If you are vision-impaired or have some other disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Gerdau, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (866) 788-2798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity related to all employees and applicants for employment. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected status. All external applicants must be legally eligible to immediately work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
If you are vision-impaired or have some other disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act / Accessible Canada Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Gerdau, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (866)-788-2798 or email@example.com